My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

Monday, March 16, 2009

Adriana's Submission for Monday, April 6

At Freedom's Gate by Colin Morton

Your passport please.
You are German.
Yes.
A German citizen.
Yes.
Born in Hannover.
Not a matter of choice, I assure you.
You speak Norwegian very well.
A little, not so well.
You are a spy, perhaps.
Is that a question?
You have been to Norway before.
Yes, often.
'36, '35, '34 . . .
I spend summers on Möldefjord,
I love it there.
It is not summer now, Herr ...
Schwitters.
It is not summer now, Herr Schwitters.
Yes. No.
Your stay will be a short one?
I don't know.
Like the others?
A holiday, yes.
But you don't know how long.
No.
You are not seeking asylum?
No, I hope to return home.
You are not a member of the Nazi party.
No!
Any other party?
No.
You belong to no party.
Yes. No.
You will fill out these forms please.
Yes.
You will report to the police, this address,
tomorrow morning at nine.
Yes.
You understand, failure to report will mean . . .
Yes. Yes. Yes.
Welcome, Herr Schwitters, to the land of freedom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home