My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

Friday, February 15, 2008

Adriana's submission for Monday, February 18

Jenny Kissed Me
James Henry Leigh Hunt (1784 - 1859) English essayist, poet and writer.


Jenny kissed me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in:
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,
Say that health and wealth have missed me,
Say I'm growing old, but add,
Jenny kissed me.

A White Rose
John Boyle O'Reilly (1844-1890) Irish-born poet and novelist.


The red rose whispers of passion,
And the white rose breathes of love;
O the red rose is a falcon,
And the white rose is a dove.

But I send you a cream-white rosebud
With a flush on its petal tips;
For the love that is purest and sweetest
Has a kiss of desire on the lips.

Song: To Celia
Benjamin Jonson (1572 - 1637) English Renaissance dramatist, poet and actor.


Drink to me, only with thine eyes
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
And I'll not look for wine.
The thirst that from the soul doth rise
Doth ask a drink divine:
But might I of Jove's nectar sup
I would not change for thine.

I sent thee late a rosy wreath,
Not so much honouring thee
As giving it a hope that there
It could not withered be
But thou thereon didst only breath
And sent'st it back to me:
Since, when it grows and smells, I swear,
Not of itself but thee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home