My Photo
Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

Candace's submission for Monday, November 21

---------------------------------------------------

I DIE OF THIRST WHILE AT THE FOUNTAIN SIDE

Francois Villon (1431-c. 1463), French poet

I die of thirst while at the fountain side,
Hot as fire, my teeth are chattering,
In my own country, far off I abide,
Near the blaze I burn, still shivering,
Naked as a worm, dressed like my Lord the Mayor,
I laugh in tears and wait, but without hope,
I brighten up again, in sad despair,
I'm joyful, and I don't have any fun,
Powerful, and with no strength to cope,
Well received, dismissed by everyone.

I'm sure of nothing but uncertainties,
I find obscure all that is evident,
Doubtful of nothing but the certainties,
My learning comes by sudden accident,
Winner of everything, a loser overall,
At dawn I say, "God give you a good night,"
When I'm laid out I'm still afraid I'll fall,
I own the bank, without a sou in sight,
Await inheritance, as no-one's son,
Well received, dismissed by everyone.

Careless and carefree, still a working stiff
So I can buy what I don't need to buy,
Those who speak best to me most piss me off,
And those who are most true most often lie,
A friend is anyone who lets me know

That a white swan is just a coal-black crow,
And those who hurt believe they help I see,
Falsehood and truth are all the same to me,
I can recall each thing, and think of none,
Well received, dismissed by everyone.

Merciful Prince, let's hope yo like this one,
I've learned a lot, no sense or knowdlege won,
I'm someone special, and common in the dock
What's left to do? Get my junk out of the hock.
Well received, dismissed by everyone.

Tr. David Curzon and Jeffrey Fiskin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home